What Causes Dry Skin?
- posted: Nov. 22, 2022
- Skin Care,  Skin Condition,  Dermatology,  Skin Treatments,  Nail Care,  Welcome Blog
Dry skin can cause a lot of problems. Healthy, well-hydrated skin can help you look younger, provide better protection for your internal organs, and can help prevent infection.
So, what causes dry skin? There are quite a few factors that can cause dry skin, including:
- Environmental exposure to wind, sun, and cold or hot temperatures
- Stages of life including aging and menopause
- Medical conditions of the skin including rosacea and eczema
- Inadequate hydration from perspiring heavily and drinking too little water
- Exposure to harsh chemicals including alcohol and other cleaning agents
You can do a lot to help prevent dry skin, and it all begins with an excellent skincare regimen, which should include:
- Washing your skin using only mild cleansing products, not soap
- Gently patting your skin almost dry, leaving a layer of moisture still on your skin
- Using an alcohol-free toner, which will balance your skin’s pH and not dry out your skin
- Applying a moisturizer that contains an SPF of at least 15 to protect and hydrate your skin
You should change to a thick, creamy moisturizer during winter months and harsh weather. Other tips you can do to prevent dry skin include:
- Staying hydrated by drinking lots of water, especially in summer and when you exercise and perspire
- Wear protective clothing if you are outside in harsh weather, wind, sun, or hot or cold temperatures
- Always wear appropriate protective gear including gloves, a mask, safety glasses, and clothing when handling chemicals
If you suffer from dry skin, it’s important to visit your dermatologist, who is an expert at skin conditions. Your dermatologist can help if your dry skin is caused by age-related skin changes, or a medical skin condition like rosacea, eczema, or dermatitis.
Your dermatologist offers a wide range of skincare services to help you enjoy hydrated, beautiful, younger-looking skin. Your dermatologist may recommend:
- Serums and facials
- Hydration treatments
- Anti-aging treatments
- Skincare products and cosmetics
To learn more about prevention, causes, and treatments of dry skin, talk with your dermatologist today.