Could Medical Dermatology Help Me?
- posted: Oct. 17, 2022
- Skin Care,  Skin Condition,  Dermatology,  Skin Treatments
Dermatology is an important area of medicine. Many people think of dermatology as the medical specialty to help them look more attractive. This is cosmetic dermatology. There is another type of dermatology which treats skin conditions and skin cancers and can potentially save your life. This is medical dermatology.
Medical dermatology services can be the answer if you are suffering from:
- Sun damage
- Skin cancer
If you have acne, your dermatologist can provide several medical dermatology treatments to help you enjoy clear skin. Your dermatologist may recommend:
- Benzoyl peroxide products to unclog pores
- Tretinoin for severe acne
- Laser treatment to kill underlying bacteria
- Extraction treatment to remove blackheads and whiteheads
If you have a rash, your dermatologist may recommend:
- Cortisone cream or lotion
- Oral or topical antihistamine
- Oatmeal or Aveeno baths
- Allergy testing to find out if the rash is allergy related
One of the most serious skin conditions your dermatologist can treat is skin cancer. To protect yourself from skin cancer, wearing a daily sunscreen is vitally important. Make sure to:
- Wear a sunscreen with at least an SPF of 15 every day
- Wear a sunscreen with at least an SPF of 30 if you are outside for long periods
You should also perform a self-check of your skin regularly, looking for any abnormalities like these:
- A large mole, with a diameter over 6 millimeters
- A mole with ragged, irregular borders
- A mole with an asymmetrical shape
- New moles, or moles that have grown back after previous removal
- Rough, scaly patches of skin
Your dermatologist can remove any abnormal moles and have them biopsied to check for abnormal or cancerous tissue. Mole removal can be performed several ways, including shaving the mole, or removing the mole completely.
Your dermatologist can provide medical dermatology services that can help you enjoy clear skin, make you more comfortable, and potentially even save your life. To find out more about how medical dermatology can help you, talk with your dermatologist today.